Olam International Limited and our affiliates worldwide (collectively “Olam,” “we,” “us,” “our”) understand the importance of privacy to you. This policy summarises what personal information we may collect, how we may use this information, and other important topics relating to your privacy and data protection.
It is Olam’s policy to comply with all applicable privacy and data protection laws. This commitment reflects the value we place on earning and keeping the trust of our customers, business partners and others who share their personal information with us.
This Policy applies to all websites and mobile applications (“apps”) operated by or on behalf of Olam. It also applies to personal information Olam may otherwise collect: (i) through our products and services; (ii) when you interact with us by means other than an Olam website or app, for example, in person, by telephone, or at a trade show or training; and (iii) from our customers, distributors, suppliers, vendors, and other business partners (collectively “Business Partners”).
However, different Olam websites, apps, products, and services have different purposes and features. If additional or different disclosures are required for a specific Olam website, app, product, or service, then we provide those disclosures (“Specific Privacy Statements”) separately on, or with, the relevant website, app, product, or service. Each such specific privacy disclosure, policy, or statement supplements and amends this Policy.
General Principles of Olam’s Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
In this Privacy Statement, “personal data” or “personal information” shall mean any information about an individual who can be identified from that information or from that information combined with other information to which we are likely to have access, including without limitation, information such as name, address, telephone number, email address, identification numbers, location data, and online identifiers.
Additionally, “process” or “processing” means any operation which is performed upon personal information, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, acquisition, holding, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
To the extent required by applicable law, whenever Olam collects personal information, Olam will:
- provide notice to you about our data practices;
- collect your personal information only for specified and legitimate purposes. The information we collect will be relevant, adequate and not excessive for the purposes for which it is collected;
- process your personal information in a manner consistent with the purposes for which it was collected or to which you consented;
- take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and, where necessary, kept up-to-date; and
- take appropriate measures, by contract or otherwise, to provide adequate protection for personal information that is disclosed to a third party or transferred to another country, including transfers within Olam.
You have choices about the personal information you provide Olam. You may choose not to provide information that we request, but if you do so, we may not be able to provide you a relevant service or a particular feature for an Olam website, app, or product.
Personal Information Olam Collects
Olam collects the following types of personal information -
Information You Provide:
- contact information, such as your name, company name, job title, address, email address, and phone number;
- additional information about you to help us get to know you better, such as your gender, age, date of birth, nationality, marital status, details of dependents, employment history, professional associations and registration numbers, information about how you use our products, and demographic information;
- financial information needed to process sales and purchases, such as credit card or account information or tax identification numbers;
- log-in information, including, if applicable, social media account information for login purposes;
- comments, questions, opinions, requests and orders or sales you may make; and
- as applicable to our farmers and suppliers, information such as the geolocation of farms or businesses, product yields and related analytical information regarding farms or businesses such as inventories and farming methods, financial data such as financing information, pricing, wages, and farmer/supplier identification information such as photographs, signatures, and certificates verifying identity and education.
Information from Business Partners and other Third Parties:
- Olam collects personal information through our Business Partners. This information may include contact information, such as name, company name, job title, address, email address, phone number, education, purchase and sale information.
- Olam also obtains personal information from other third-party sources, including publicly and commercially available sources.
Information Automatically Gathered from Your Device:
- Olam collects technical information about your device, such as device type, browser type, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, operating system, and device identifier. Olam collects this information automatically from your device and web browser through cookies and similar technologies.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
A "cookie" is a file of information placed on your device when you visit a website. Cookies and similar technologies can enhance your user experience by saving your preferences and personalising your online experience.
Although you are not required to accept cookies when you visit an Olam website, you may not be unable to use all of the functionality of the site if you reject certain cookies.
In addition, your browser may allow you to adjust settings to accept or reject cookies, or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer.
How Olam Uses Your Personal Information
Olam uses your personal information to:
Develop and manage our relationships with you and our Business Partners. This includes: (i) delivering services or carrying out transactions that you have requested; (ii) providing information about Olam products, services, transactions, and advertisements, that may be of interest to you; (iii) providing you a more consistent experience in interacting with Olam, including by learning more about you and how you use and interact with Olam websites, apps, products, and services; (iv) planning, managing, and performing under our contractual relationships with you; (v) providing after-sales support to you; and (vi) in the case of farmers, providing farm-management plans and enhancing farming capabilities.
Provide Traceability in the Supply Chain. Olam is committed to empowering our customers and producers by providing traceability in the supply chain. Traceability allows for socially and environmentally responsible sourcing in the supply chain of our products. Accordingly, we use farmer and supplier personal information to enhance traceability and strengthen our partnerships with our farmers, suppliers, and buyers while improving our traceability-focused websites and apps, and empowering our Business Partners and affiliates to make informed and responsible sourcing decisions.
Foster Careers. You may submit your resume and other information to apply for a job with us either through our sites or via email to an official Olam email address. We use the information you submit solely for the purposes of considering applications and recruitment (and for purposes of our administration or management if you commence work for us), and not to market to you.
Communicate with you. This includes: (i) informing you of Olam products, services, events and promotional activities that you requested or may be of interest to you; (ii) providing information about relevant Olam products, services, and transactions, including, for example, pricing information, technical data, invoice, shipping, or production information, warranty or recall information, or information about product or service improvements; (iii) responding to questions or inquiries that you make, including customer service requests; and (iv) inviting you to participate in, or informing you of the results of, customer satisfaction or market research surveys.
Provide and improve our websites, apps, products, and services. This includes: (i) customising them to your preferences or interests, making them more compatible with your technology, or otherwise making them easier to use; (ii) maintaining the security of and otherwise protecting them; and (iii) and developing new websites, apps, products and services.
Address legal issues. This includes: (i) complying with our obligations to retain certain business records for minimum retention periods; (ii) establishing, exercising, or defending legal claims; (iii) complying with laws, regulations, court orders, or other legal process; (iv) detecting, preventing, and responding to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violation of our contracts or agreements, violations of law, or other misuse of Olam websites, apps, products or services; and (v) protecting Olam’s rights or property, or yours or others’ health, safety, welfare, rights, or property.
Manage office visitors. If you visit an Olam office, we may collect personal information about you, including, but not limited to, your title, name, address, phone number, email address, business or company affiliation, government identification (driver’s license, passport), and other details you provide. We process this information for a variety of purposes, including to generally manage your visit, to verify your identity, to provide access to our facilities and systems, for security and other safety purposes, to communicate with you regarding your visit, to provide information we believe may be of interest to you, including regarding our services, for purposes disclosed at the time a visitor provides Personal Information or otherwise with consent.
Process with your consent. We also use your personal information for other uses consistent with the context in which the information was collected or with your consent. Where you provide us with the personal data of any other individual, including any employee that is involved in farming operations or a family member, you confirm that you have notified the individual of the purposes to which you are providing Olam with that third party's personal data and you have obtained the person's consent or that you are legally authorised to consent on their behalf to providing Olam with that person's personal data.
In certain jurisdictions, consent is the primary ground on which personal data may be processed by an organisation. In those jurisdictions, processing personal data in connection with the performance of a contract or legitimate purposes is not recognised as an accepted ground on which personal data may be processed. Accordingly, if you are a resident in such a jurisdiction, you agree that consent will be the ground on which Olam will process your personal data instead of performance of a contract or legitimate purposes.
Note that we can anonymise or aggregate any of the information we collect and use it for any purpose, including for research and product-development purposes. Such information will not identify you individually.